Monday, July 4, 2011

Peanut butter chocolate rice crispy treats

I wanted to make some dessert for the Fourth of July - it just seems like a day that needs dessert. I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do so E suggested a peanut butter and chocolate dessert. Originally I was going to go with brownies but decided to do rice crispy treats instead. (Yay for not having to turn on the oven - although it is only 105 today).

I found a recipe for peanut butter treats on the Rice Krispies website. It's the standard recipe with half a cup of peanut butter mixed in at the end. To make them even yummier I melted chocolate chips to go on top.



Here's the butter marshmallow mixture.



And now for the peanut butter...this looks good enough to eat even without the cereal mixed in.



Then the cereal is mixed in and the mixture is pressed in the plan.



After they firmed up a little I melted the chocolate with just a tiny bit of vegetable shortening added to make it spread easier. And since it's not a very patriotic looking dessert, I put blue sprinkles on to spruce it up! (They don't show up very well in the photo)


Mmmm. It's amazing that chocolate an peanut butter are so good by themselves but when you mix them together they reach a whole new level of deliciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment