Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Haboob

Well the Sunny Side of the Street isn't an accurate title for my blog today! Tonight we had another haboob blow through the region. A haboob is basically a storm that collapses on itself sending up a massive wall of dust. The first one that blew through missed us completely. We weren't so fortunate this time but luckily it wasn't as bad as the first one - that one made national news! (EDIT: Nevermind, this one was mentioned on the Today Show too)

I was at work and saw this one coming so I rather hastily scooted out the door to head home. It was strange - in my rearview mirror the sky was brown but out my front windshield it was a blue sky with a few clouds. I managed to beat the storm home by about two minutes. Racing a storm is probably not the smartest thing I've ever done.

I didn't get pictures as the worst was blowing through but did manage to catch some pictures as it was leaving.

These three pictures were taken a the same time but from different directions. This is a picture of the dust heading west.




The rain following the haboob - coming in from the south. Unfortunately we got about five sprinkles and that was it.




A view facing north. Some darker clouds but plenty of blue sky too.




It's strange how they all seem different even though I was in the same spot. Then as the sun began to set, the sky turned a beautiful yellow and orange. This picture doesn't come close to doing it justice.





Of course my little amateur photographer wanted to take pictures too! He was pointing his block towards the sky and saying "cheese" (don't worry - it wasn't storming by this time)




No comments:

Post a Comment