Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Accomplishments

Yes I know it's a stupid title for a post but right now I'm not coming up with anything better. I was actually able to get some things accomplished recently. I tried a new recipe - the lemon pound cake I mentioned in a previous post. It's really good but I had a few issues with it. I had to bake it for 60 minutes instead of the 45-50 minutes the recipe calls for. I couldn't get quite enough zest from my lemon either; it probably could have been more lemony. I also added frosting to the top. I had some vanilla frosting leftover from the cake balls I made at Christmas so I took that and added a little of the juice from the lemon I zested.

C was hilarious when I was trying to cook it. First he came up to me while I was mixing the flour, baking powder and salt together and asked "mom, can I have some?" So I tell him it's not done yet. Comes back about five minutes later to ask again and I had to tell him not yet. Then I start using the hand mixer to mix the ingredients together. At this point C has gone into the other room. A few minutes later I hear him hollering "Excuse me!" I turn off the mixture and go into the other room. He then asks "Can you keep it down?" Oh I just about died laughing. Finally finish mixing the ingredients together and he comes back to ask if it is now done. "No honey it has to cook first". However by the time it was done...he no longer wanted cake! Aaack!

My other thing, while not finished yet, still feels like quite the accomplishment. I'm making a giant checkerboard by knitting 64 squares on the diagonal until they measure 5" across. Like I said this will be huge when it's done. This weekend I finished the third row of squares. I've been seaming as I go so that it's not too overwhelming in the end. With this new row it is actually starting to look like a blanket. I feel like I've been working on it forever but part of the problem is I keep putting it down to work on things that are more fun or challenging. I'm hoping to be done with the monstrosity by April but who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment