Monday, April 23, 2012

Knit and Crochet Blog Week - Day 1 3KCBWDAY1

Knit and Crochet Blog Week is here! This is my first time participating and I'm so excited. The goal is to blog about dIfferent fibery subjects each day. Today's topic is color.

I've been knitting for about five years. Just recently I was trying to remember why I picked up kntting and I realized it was because I wanted to make a pillow for my mom. I had no idea how complicated it would be since it was multicolor and had charts. (I still have a hard time reading charts even though I know how to knit.) I tried to find the right colors based on the pattern but obviously I never knitted the pillow. Smartly I decided to start with something easier.

Most of my projects follow the same method. I decide to make something, find a pattern that suits it, then pick the yarn. Color is usually the last choice. It tends to be dictated by the project, like doing a ladybug in black and red, or by the recipient's taste, like doing my friend's blanket in colors that match her nursery. I don't really even have much of a stash to draw from. Seriously half of the yarn I have in my stash is yarn my grandma gave me when she was decluttering. I tend to buy just what I need and I let the project dictate the color.

The monster I made for C is a good example of my typical method.

I knew he wanted a monster so I had him pick the pattern he wanted. I didn't have him decide on a color until he picked a pattern.
I can think of two examples where I did pick the project based on the color. The first was the monster I knitted for my nephew. My BIL is a huge Chivas fan so I knew whatever I did I wanted it to be in those colors and I picked a pattern to highlight the colors.
The other was my drawstring bag. I found self striping yarn at the store and I've always wanted to try it so I bought it without any project in mind. In fact it sat for a while until I could figure out what to do.
It was fun to think about color in a way I hadn't before. I always figured that it would be more of a driver in my projects but it appears I go for the patterns first.
To check out other knitters and crocheters thoughts on color, just google 3KCBWDay1. And if you want to participate head over to Eskimimimakes for the instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment