Monday, January 4, 2016

My Refinished File Cabinet

I recently obtained a new to me small file cabinet. I had one in the office/craft room already but it was really cheaply made and kept coming off its track so I was happy to take this one. But...it didn't match the furniture already in there, which is more of a birch wood color, along with a multicolored rug and lots of bright accessories. This was more of an oak, with gold finishes. Very 1980s looking.

I decided to change it up a bit. I knew I wouldn't be able to match the wood finish exactly so I wanted to do something that would complement the existing furniture. I decided on a nice dark blue - E calls it Tardis blue, Krylon calls it Oxford Blue, with silver handles.

First I removed the handles, name plates and lock and painted them all with a silver gray acrylic paint. Then I gently sanded down the cabinet and drawers to remove the veneer.

After it was sanded, I gave each component a couple of coats of spray paint.

Voila! A new file cabinet. I'm so pleased with how it turned out. This room has totally become my happy place!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment